Marinated Quail with Lemon and Herbs
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 teaspoon finely minced rosemary
- 1tablespoon minced thyme
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 small garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed?)
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 semi boneless quail (see how to video)
- Canola oil
- Combine all marinade ingredients into a bowl. Blot any moisture from quail and put in a large ziplock bag. Pour in marinade with quail and seal removing any air from bag and let sit for 6 hours. Remove quail from bag and remove any ingredients sticking to quail since they could burn as the quail cooks. Pour about ¼ inch canola oil into shallow bowl.
- Grill: Preheat grill to medium heat. Dip quail into canola oil, place breast side down on the grill, and cook until golden brown and skin is crisp, about 3 minutes. Turn the quail over and cook on the second side of quail for about 2 minutes or until cooked through
- Skillet: Heat a large heavy skillet (cast iron) over medium until very hot. Dip quail into oil, place breast side down, and cook for about 3 minutes, adjusting the heat if necessary to brown and crisp skin. Turn and brown the second side, 1-2 minutes, until cooked through.
The Prairie's End Hunt Club http://texasbirdhunt.com/