- 4 semi-boneless quail cut in half
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup canola oil for frying
- 1cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- Season the quail with the salt. Heat oil in frying pan or cast iron skillet to 325 degrees. Dip the quail in the buttermilk and then into the flour, shaking excess flour from the bird. Gently immerse into the hot oil and fry for about four minutes, then carefully turn them over for another 4 minutes. Let cool.
- Note: If only “chicken frying” the quail without the skin cooking time will be less. You may also add to your quail with 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for instance.
- This recipe is for 4 semi-boneless quail cut in half. To learn more about deboning a quail please see this video from the world famous chef Jacques Pepin
- However, you can just as easily use the parts of the quail you prefer, or have left over from your shoot.
The Prairie's End Hunt Club http://texasbirdhunt.com/